Monday, May 16, 2011

Girls on the Run 5k

Mackenzie has been involved in a program called Girls on the Run. It's a great program that encouraged girls to get up and moving, talks about self-esteem and positive role models for girls, etc. We have really enjoyed it. She had practice 2x/week for the last 2 1/2 months and on Sunday morning she compete in her first ever 5k with me. We were up at 6 to get ready to make the trek to St. Louis for the run. Jeff, the other two girls and my mom made the trek with us to watch us run in the rain and cold. It was rainy and cold...and did I mention rainy and cold...rainy and 51 degrees.

Mackenzie did great! She ran the whole way and completed it with a time of 34:59. I think when she does the program again in the fall she can improve her time. But I have to say getting around all the girls that stop and walk in the middle of the course is a bit tricky. There were over 5000 girls that ran! Pretty amazing! We probably could have shaved off a good 2 minutes without all the detours :) We are so proud of her for competing and completing her first 5k!

Here are some photos from the day...

All of us on our way up to the arch post-run

Mackenzie post-run

Mackenzie and Ainsley post-run

Mackenzie and I post-run

This is Mackenzie and I pre-run...

3 comments:

Difference2This1 said...

What a cool program!! Great job!!! :) Blessings, Jennifer

p&k said...

Way to go, Mackenzie!!

Maybe your run will get me inspired to start back up myself. . .it's been a while for me!

hapi said...

Hi Millerfam, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog