Thursday, December 18, 2008

A week without Jeff

Well we have survived almost a whole week without daddy home.  Jeff's travel schedule seems to have picked up a bit and we are pretty used to him traveling.  But this week he left on Monday earlier in the day to beat the storm that never happened to materialize on Monday.  He was scheduled to fly out at 8:45 Monday night but instead he came home early from work and was gone before the girls got out of school.  He left early so that he would actually be able to get out before "the storm."  "The storm" was going to be 1-3 inches of snow followed maybe by some ice.  It was "supposed" to start Monday evening during the rush hour commute and close schools for the following day and apparently cause utter chaos.  The last time I looked out my window, prior to heading for bed, there was no precipitation falling from the sky.  I got up the next morning and wonder of all wonders..still no precipitation of any form falling from the skies.  The kids had school but it did start snowing around 10 and some schools did get out early but not ours.  However they did manage to cancel afternoon preschool and kindergarten throwing a serious wrench into my plans.  I have a sitter who comes on Tuesday for 2 hours.  She gets Ellie on the bus and transport Ainsley to school and then leaves.  I had already left for work even though it was snowing because it wasn't snowing the hard.  I get to work only to find out that they cancelled afternoon preschool and kindergarten.  I only worked 45 minutes or so before I had to turn around and head home because my sitter had to pick her son up at preschool and didn't have enough car seats for all three (my two and her son).  What normally take 30 minutes, took over an hour.  Mind you there was less than an inch of snow but apparently this warrants all the crazy people to take to the roads and drive 5 miles  and hour!  I think there are certain states, meaning any states that don't receives tons of snow, that should require special driving permits when they do receive snow.  The only people who are allowed to be on the roads are people who were born in states that did receive lots of snow and they actually know how to drive.  All other people should be forced to stay home.  By the time I got home, I was tired and a bit frazzled and had only managed a mere 45 minutes of work!  So what is one to do in that condition..play in the snow!  Since my sitter put Ellie down for a nap prior to me getting home, Ainsley and I went and played in the snow and then she helped me shovel the driveway:)  So needless to say, when it was time to pick up the other kids from school, the snow had stopped and the roads, though not perfect, were definitely ok to drive on.  No more snow since then thankfully!  I would like to get to at least Christmas break without having to go to school in June.  The schools here don't build in snow days anymore so every time we use a snow day, which was fairly significant last year, they just tack it on to the last day of school.  That would seem to make sense if you don't use a lot of snow days but they use a lot here so it makes no sense to me.  But then again, there's a lot of things in life that don't always make sense to me so it's probably just me!
The rest of the week has been busy but we have survived the week without daddy and everyone is very excited that he is coming home tonight!

No comments: