Sunday, November 4, 2007

Guangzhou-Day 2

We woke up at about 7 this morning which was great! I(Steph) didn't of course ....that would be way to much to ask...I think I was up at 4ish but the rest did so that was good. Someone knocked on our door last night incessantly at like 9. I finally went to the door, even though we had already gone to bed, to find that it was the turn down service. I had to REALLY explain that we had already gone to bed and didn't need the turn down service. He seemed a bit confused and perplexed but tonight when we came back from dinner they had already done turn down so I think they got the gist that we go to bed early!

Today we had a great breakfast. I took Mackenzie and Ainsley up to the room before Jeff brought Ellie up as they needed to use the bathroom. Apparently after we left, Ellie managed to throw up/burp up her food. I am thankful for missing that pleasant experience but Jeff sure is amazing!:)


We were off to a Buddhist Temple this morning. This is very much a part of the Chinese culture here..and often the kids get blessed by a monk. It was interesting but a bit sad to see how entrenched the Chinese people are in praying to idols that will do nothing for them. I am so glad to know that my God listens and hears me when I pray. We then went on to a shopping place for some local goods. The prices were a bit steep so we didn't end up buying anything. Though I am sure the quality of everything was great, you pay for great quality stuff. So we decided to pass on those higher ticket items and just get some local stuff near our hotel. Once we got home and had some lunch in our room, Jeff stayed with Ellie and Ainsley while they napped and Mackenzie and I went out shopping. I was able to get some outfits for the girls, some small things for the girls and some gifts. I spent too much money according to Jeff's bargaining standards so I sent him out later to get some more stuff knowing he would probably drive a harder bargain. I have come to realize that I am not good at wheeling and dealing but Jeff is...it really boils down to the fact that 1. I don't like confrontation 2. I feel badly for the people and that I am insulting them. I also took Mackenzie to the pool and she had some fun swimming for a little bit. It was very cold but she did get in the water. We then came back from the pool, Jeff went out shopping and the girls got up from their nap. We had dinner at Lucy's again which was good and did some final wheeling and dealing on our way home. We are now getting the kids ready for bed and off to sleep we go! Tomorrow we have to be in our room at 10 and wait till our guide, Connie, calls us to let us know about our consulate appt. We don't have to go but Connie actually goes for us and petitions for us. So we have to stay in our room and wait to hear if the consulate has any questions for us or if everything is ok. The last picture posted is of Jeff next to his new company car...or so he dreams. Actually he is standing in front of it as I am pretty sure they wouldn't let him in the door:)


Post more tomorrow!

No comments: