Monday, November 26, 2007

My friend Cherie

My friend Cherie (Porter) Landry just passed away. She was one of my closest friends in junior high and high school and she will be missed so much. Since graduating from high school, we have gone our separate ways across the country. She stayed in Maine to go to college and I left to go to OH. But over the years we have still stayed in touch and kept up on each other's lives. She would call every once in a while as would I. Though we hadn't seen each other in several years, we did our share of e-mailing to keep each other up on our lives. In the time after graduating, I married, moved to PA and then KY and had kids and so did she...moving from ME to TX and then most recently to MD. She married her husband Dan and had a beautiful little girl named Dana Simone, who is close to turning 2 and looks just like her. Every time I look at her most recent picture on our refrigerator, I am moved to tears. As I think over the years of our friendship, I am amazed at how blessed I am to have had her in my life and how blessed Dana is to have had her as a mom. Though there is sooo much more that I could say about my friend I will save it to write down in my own journal. Cherie, you will be greatly missed...I can't believe I have to say goodbye to you so soon. I love you...

2 comments:

the phantom blogger said...

I was told of Cherie's passing today and I understand that I was a member of the Univrsity of Maine Marching Band while Cherie was there. As embarrassing as it may be to admit that my weak mind can't picture her, I'll have to admit it. I would be very grateful if you could send a picture of Cherie to Jason_Wright@umit.maine.edu so that I could picture what the world has lost. Thanks.

Meg and Guy said...

I had not heard about Cherie until I read your blog. I am so very sad to hear it--it moved me to tears. Although I have not kept in touch with her (other than through you) since high school she is in many of my favorite memories of those years. How tragic to hear of a life snuffed out so young. Truly reminds me that we are never promised tomorrow so we must do what we are meant to today--God alone knows the hours of our lives. Please shoot me an e-mail if you have time, Steph. Love ya. Meg