Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow days

Unfortunately Jeff took the camera with him to St. Louis this week so I couldn't get any pictures of the kids playing in the snow. We got a few inches of snow which always slows KY down.
So the younger two had school off yesterday and today. Mackenzie went to school yesterday and I am allowing her to stay home today against my better judgement. She has school but she is sick of having to go to school while the other girls get to be off. So I gave in and am letting her stay home.
I understand her frustration. Really, I do.
In another month or so we will be moving. The girls will all be in the same school district and therefore will all get out of school at the same time. So she will have gone to school 5 more days than Ainsley and Ellie but not get out of school earlier.
If we had stayed here, she would be out earlier than the other two by quite a bit.
This is what causes her frustration. And honestly it is still early on. Burlington cancels even when there is a hint of snow it seems. So in the next 4-5 weeks, we could potentially have several more snow days. Beechwood, being an small independent public school district with lots of walkers and no buses that I have seen, almost never cancels.
So I am allowing a mental health day for her. Keeping her home from school even though she is perfectly healthy. Hopefully I don't regret it...

2 comments:

p&k said...

sounds like a good "family reason" to me, steph!

Mandy said...

Seem to me like you did the right thing. School is temporary but sisters are eternal (or something like that)! I always remember snow days as being among my happiest memories - and that continues to this day.