Monday, February 9, 2009

Wii Fit

I am convinced that the best ending to a somewhat rough day is to watch your husband do yoga on the Wii fit. If laughter is good for the soul than watching Jeff doing yoga is definitely good for my soul:) We just purchased the Wii fit. We have been looking for it everywhere for what feels like forever and we finally found it at Toys R Us. I am really excited because we gave up our YMCA memberships to help save money monthly and we though the Wii fit might be a fun way to help us stay in shape. I am convinced that laughing also builds up your abdominal muscles too so this is a win win situation!!

After reading one of my friend's blog today I realized that often what I post glosses over the many hard things I experience every single day in parenting my children. I try to parent well but there are many days that I am just not successful. Especially when it comes to parenting a child with special needs. Knowing how to meet Ellie's everyday needs can be daunting and overwhelming and sometimes just downright frustrating. But I don't post those things because I don't want to always highlight the difficult things and focus on those. Hopefully I can keep it real without dwelling on the difficult challenges of each day that seem to arise. Not that Ellie hasn't made a lot of progress because she has but there are so many things that pop up day to day that can be daunting. Knowing which specific issue to work on in any given day can be overwhelming. Take for instance our Sunday morning experience. We got to church and I needed to be in the Children's area for a little bit to help find the sign in sheets. Ellie followed me in but I took her back out and shut the door so that Jeff could watch her. She proceeded to thrash against the door and throw herself to the floor. Jeff picked her up but when she is throwing a fit she makes her body so rigid and arches her back so much that she is difficult to hold. So he tried to set her down in a safe place. But we meet at a school and all the floors are hard. She managed to throw like a 15 minute fit and wouldn't let him comfort her. When I came out, she wanted me but she had to stop fussing for Jeff and that made her even more angry. I walked away and she must have hit her nose on the floor because when Jeff turned around she had a bloody nose. I had to spend 5-10 minutes cleaning up her bloody nose from her 20 minute temper tantrum and missed worship. And we still had to idea what set off the fit and how to help her deal with emotions. An ongoing struggle that seems to occur in cycles. We are by far perfect but fortunately we have a perfect Heavenly Father who loves us and helps see us through every day. We aren't helpless and hopeless but rest knowing that He knows exactly what we are going through and will give us wisdom to get through the day to day stuff.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Praying for you guys. God is able. Love ya.
Jen

Difference2This1 said...

It certainly is hard sometimes...and hard for others to understand. Sounds like Ellie keeps you all on your toes..and knows it too! At least if the Wii Fit doesn't work, you have her to keep you hopping :) Sending you warm fuzzy been-there-still-there-will-be-there-for-a-while-like-you hugs! And they aren't even teenagers yet!