Monday, October 29, 2007

Scared, Nervous and Ellie



I know that may not be the best way to start out the blog but today has been a pretty emotional day. We were very excited today to finally meet Ellie. The orphanage people were a little late, so we were there first. When they brought Ellie in and I got a glimpse of her I was initially excited but to be honest also terrified. As I watched her interact and then as my friend Kim talked with her nanny I became more concerned. We were initially told she spoke 2-3 words back in May and I was assuming that probably her vocabulary had increased. When Kim was talking with the nanny that brought her she said she says absolutely nothing. She also looked to me like a down syndrome baby. I pretty much shut down emotionally and was completely overwhelmed. Jeff and our guide got us through the paperwork...and the language barriers. We asked a few questions and then it was done. She wanted nothing to do with me and arched her back a lot which I am still concerned about but finally we were able to get pictures done and headed back to the hotel room. She seemed to calm down and was interacting a little better in the room. But as soon as we headed for dinner at the buffet upstairs, it was more crying and arching her back. We have decided to spend the next few days staying low-key and keeping her environment as consistent as possible to see how she adjusts. Ellie got a bath tonight and played with the girls. Mackenzie and Ainley love her, and she started to interact with them some. We are still concerned about her lack of talking, and plan to talk with the doctor on the trip but haven't yet been able to reach him. Please continue to pray for wisdom and guidance for us. I am pretty scared and nervous but have to trust that God is in control. I am also exhausted so please pray for rest for all of us.

5 comments:

ellieshine said...

Ellie is beautiful! I am praying for you, Hopefully things will look better in the morning as they often do . . .

Cheers from Australia,

Ellie
Mom to be to another YiWu beauty!

Unknown said...

what a beautiful family..Praying for you

Phil said...

Hello Miller family! You are doing a wonderful job Stephanie. Keep looking up. I'm sure you are terrified. But you guys have been praying and working for this for a LONG time. God knew Ellie was for your family that long ago. Take one moment at a time. She is blessed!

Love,
The McLellan family

tonya borgatti said...

Ellie is beautiful and I am so excited for you all!

I am praying for you. God is in control and will give you EVERYTHING you need through this exciting time of adjustment.

Love,
Tonya

Jen said...

We're all praying for you, Steph and Jeff. Our church family is ,too.
Love ya,
Jen